Happy to see you popping in!
This website is intended for anyone interested in the village of Jörn.
You will find a well of available resouces and helpful people if you pay us a visit. You were not thinking of paying us a visit!!?
Please do, even if your final destination is beyond our borders. Why? You will find excellent food and bear at the brand new hotel, restaurant and event company (Jörn Experience Hotel), – or a cup of coffee twice weekly at the special handicraft store opposite of the grocery store. Ask just anyone for direction in Jörn where Tiger Woods spent Christmas some years back. Not sure our friends at the grocery store will be able to describe it in detail. However – look for Hornsträsk!
Jörn is pronounced exactly like the English word yearn, meaning to really long for something (to desire). A truly suitable name for this village!
Conveniently located inbetween the Baltic and the mountain area. Jörn is the home of the highest mountain in the coastal area. A ski and mountain/fishing resort is easily accessible year around, at a distance of 15 km (9 miles) from the village. It is staffed during November/December until mid/end of April, all depending on the quality of the skiing facilities.
It is a village with a large number of small surrounding villages, together formning Jörn. The village Jörn in turn is part of the regional community of Skellefteå.
Large investments at a distance of 10 km, from the centre, are two small sized wind mill parks which generate power as well as direct annual payments for investments in surrounding villages (Jörn included) for the next 20-25 years. A world unique multi billion investment in high speed train tracks was finally decided early 2021. Producers of trains have already made reservations for testing of their trains – and the track, running from Jörn to Arvidsjaur is still not under construction, nor is the new hotel or the extra service facilities. It has come to a halt and new investors are being searched for.
Vital – not small investments are the three most recent mail order companies in Jörn, moved from locations further south. A brand new brewery also moving up north will be in production mid 2022. And long time and stable local companies are found such as a production unit for houses/homes, and large scale wild berries purchasers and manufacturing companies.
At first glance it might seems somewhat laid back. Some houses have lacked desired maintenance for some years. Starting 2015 a coupe of local real estate investor has purchased a large number of property for housing and business and have already started refurbishing and renovation. Any house up for sale, quickly finds a new owner. Large investments in and around Jörn have made this house market flourish.
Bragging about one’s advantages is not the most typical attribute of an inland Swede. Hence it might even appear dormant, until you scratch the surface.
- Population: 700 persons (decrease around 15% since 1995).
- Train station: In Jörn, on the nationwide train track.
- Airports: Skellefteå (SFT) as well as Arvidsjaur (AJR), both approx 50 minutes away by car. Limousine service available per person or for an entire car. FREE long term parking year around at the airport in Skellefteå.
- Bus: Bus station with nationwide freight service (Bussgods) available in the center of Jörn.
- Cities: Skellefteå 45 minutes away, Piteå (up north) about 1,5 hour away and Umeå (south) 2,5 hours away by car and 2 hours by train. Umeå is the largest, offering University studies and the regional hospital for advanced care.
- Other countries: Norway is 4 hours away by car and Finland about 3,5 hours away by car.
- Liveliest day of the week: Saturday. People from the surrounding villages turn up for shopping, possibly also paying a visit to flea market